Car accidents occur every day in Illinois. In fact, most of us will be involved in a car accident at some point in our lifetime. In the unfortunate event that you find yourself involved in a car accident, it is important to know what to do:
1) Insurance: It is important to have insurance for any future automobile accidents. You should discuss with your insurance agent the amount of coverage that is right to protect you and your family. You may also want to discuss “uninsured motorist” coverage and “underinsured motorist” coverage to protect you in the event that the other party involved in the accident does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to compensate you for your injuries
2) Make sure everyone is okay: Before you do anything else, make sure that no one has been seriously injured in the car accident. If someone appears to be seriously injured, call 911 right away.
3) Police: It is important to notify the police following a car accident. Frequently, following an accident, the “at fault” driver will request that the cops not get involved. To adequately protect yourself, it is important to call the police so an official record of the accident is recorded. If litigation becomes necessary, a police report can be vital to bringing a successful claim.
4) Photographs: It is important to document the damage to your car and the driver of the other vehicles car. Try to take photographs as soon as possible.
5) Calling Insurance Companies: Following an accident, the insurance carrier for the other driver is likely to call you and ask you to give a sworn statement. It is important to call an experience car accident attorney for advice before you speak to the insurance carrier. After your conversation with the attorney you can decide whether it is in your best interest to retain a lawyer, or to try to recover on your own. Many attorneys, including the experienced car accident attorneys at Rosenberg, Rosenberg, Eisenberg & Associates, LLC will provide a free consultation and give you advise as to what you can do.
This is certainly not an exhaustive list of everything that must be done before and after an accident occurs, but it is a good start for what you should think about if you do find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance of being involved in an accident.
The Chicago car accident attorneys at Rosenberg, Rosenberg, Eisenberg & Associates, LLC, offer a free consultation to anyone injured in a car accident. Contact us today to see how we can assist you.